Hazelnut Browned Butter Ravioli
This is what I like to call one of my “power meals.” NOT because of the nutrition it packs, but because of how it makes me feel and my memories around this meal. Adding in hazelnuts to the pasta adds a nice crunch and flavor profile for the dish.
Let me take you back in time a couple of years, I was dealing with a lot of stuff going on in my personal life and it really took a toll on me. One day, rather than sitting at home doing absolutely nothing except letting Netflix know that I was, in fact, “still there”, I took myself to the casino. Why? I have no idea, but it was something to do. Here, I decided to treat myself to a fancy meal. I took myself out to lunch at a very nice Italian restaurant, this was my way of treating myself to something I enjoyed. It was the most expensive meal I ever bought myself at that point, and maybe even since. But in order for me to get away from everything else that was going on, I decided to have a “Treat Yo Self” day and get some really good, homemade pasta.
Incase you don’t know anything about me, my favorite food is browned butter and I happened to see that there was a dish with a browned butter sauce. Now this was a ravioli stuffed with goat cheese and I don’t care much for goat cheese, but I decided it would be worth it to order because of the browned butter. Clearly I was right as I am still making this dish two years later.
Honestly, it was this lunch that was one of those significant, life-changing, sticks-out-in-your-memories moments. I realized I don’t need other people to make me happy and that it was perfectly acceptable for me to do things alone. I now regularly take myself out to eat and spend a lot more time doing what I was to do, whether it’s with other people or by myself.
Hazelnut Browned Butter Ravioli
Serves 2-3 (depending on serving sizes), Prep Time: 15 Cook Time: 15
- 1 package of ravioli (or any kind of pasta you want)
- 3 TBSP Butter
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped greed onions
- 1/3 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package
- In a separate pan, brown the butter. If you have never made brown butter before, I made a video a few years ago to show you how! One it has browned, transfer it from the pan to a heat proof dish to stop the cooking process.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast the hazelnuts until they are fragrant. Take out of skillet, peel by rolling between 2 paper towels, and roughly chop into pieces. Be careful, as they will roll!
- Add a spoonful of the browned butter to the skillet and slightly char green onions, this takes about 3-4 minutes. Add corn, salt, and pepper and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until it is heated through.
- Over low heat, add hazelnuts, pasta, and brown butter to skillet and mix until everything is combined.
- Top with hazelnut chinks or some parmesan, if desired, and enjoy!
This is a really great summer (or very late summer) dish, but it can be enjoyed year round with canned or frozen corn! You can also easily add in more veggies; I like to add zucchini in the summer or broccoli, but I’m sure this would work well with small cubes of butternut squash (which I may need to try now)!